Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day two and beyond

The next day happened to be mother's day. We had a family function to go to. I was nervous because it was about an hour and a half away and there would be a good amount of people there. Would he be ok? Would he be scared? It is a lot of change for him all at once.

We got there and a family friend, Paula read books to him and he was in heaven! He also played ball (throwing it up and down the stairs) with the guys. He was amazingly fine. He just adjusts well. Now, don't get me wrong, not ALL kids in the system adjust this well. They have been through so much that the change either doesn't bother them or sets them right over the edge.

That next week, he started a new daycare.  Again, I was the one who was nervous about it. He did great. I think I called 3 or 4 times that day to check on him. :) When I picked him up, he came running to me and gave me a hug.

Things continued to go well, we had a routine down and Elijah was thriving. He was talking more and more and his speech was improving. Three months after having him his case was moved over to the TPR (Termination of parental rights) stage. At this point, they need to have an "Adoption resource" ready for him before the rights can be terminated. This means, they need someone to adopt him. I panicked. I knew that I just wanted to foster. Could I do this on my own? Could I raise him right without a dad in his life? This was a forever decision....I had to think about it. I asked his caseworker to hold things for a few weeks to let me think.

Some family was all for it. Some were only concerned that it would be too much for me. They all loved him, but were just concerned for me, and what this all would mean for me. After a lot of prayers, thoughts, sleepless nights, I called his caseworker and said that I wanted to adopt him.

They continued the TPR process and it went through easily. (At least for me). I didn't have to be there. It really was just a formality from my understanding. Now this is where we had to wait again. We had to give enough time for someone to appeal it. No one did, so after 60? days (I don't remember) I was told no one appealed and we were set to go into the adoption process.

I was given a court date of 12/22/09. That would be the day that Elijah was officially my son, even though he was already my son in my eyes. I had shopping to do! I went out and got him a 5 piece suit and he was ready to go!

The day of his adoption, I cried all the way down the hall to the courtroom. I was trying to explain to Elijah that they were happy tears. Everyone knew it was adoption day by the way he was dressed. Everyone was saying congrats and the women were melting over him. (nothing new)

I got to the end of the hall and there was a man there and asked if I was ok. I said "Yes, I just have to find the courtroom" and kept walking with tears rolling down my face. He told me that that WAS the courtroom and come back. He opened the door, and there was all my family.

When we got into the actual courtroom, there was that man, now in a black robe. I was so embarrassed. He just smiled. I cried most of the time in court too. I was just so happy and relieved that he was now my son and his name would officially be Elijah.


After court was done, Judge Murray came down and gave us all a hug and gave Elijah a toy. We took pictures and some family went home and some went out to lunch with us. It was just a good day...even if I cried through most of it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Very good, I loved it. It was very touching and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete